Sunday, October 11, 2009

Fat Bus to the Grocery Store

So Mr. Med School has a test coming up on Monday… meaning he would be splitting his time between the library and the anatomy lab this weekend.  Because I would be a Med School Widow this weekend, I decided it would be a good time to go and visit my parents in Hometown, South.  My mother has been bugging me for the past few months to come and visit(1) and because I wouldn’t actually have contact with my husband this weekend, why not go for a visit?


So after work on Friday I hopped in my car and drove up to Hometown, South.  Friday night consisted of family dinner and Friday Night Football (2).  However, for Saturday my mother had something special planned for us.  As you may recall from an earlier post, my mother has been on the Thrive Diet, and as a part of the Thrive plan, you can go on a Grocery Store Tour! On this tour the “Guide” will point out some of the best vegetables and other items to eat (3).  Now being from a more rural area (4), I assume that people don’t tend to read fitness magazines or check out Health.com (5) as much as I did in Big City, South.  So it is not surprising that they would need someone to walk them through the grocery store to show them what veggies had a lot of fiber and which of the meats were leaner. 


However, what was the most entertaining to me was the “Guide,”  Ellen, who was much too happy to be up so early on a Saturday (6), told us antidotal stories about her struggles and would quiz us by holding up a broccoli and asking “Now what do we call this?”  “Exercise on a stalk!” says a very eager follower.  “Wow that is right!” says the perky guide, who goes on to tell us about the time that she ate an entire bag of broccoli instead of exercising (7).  As we made our way through the grocery store learning about foods that would put us on the “Fat Bus” and foods that would help us to burn fat calories, I noticed that the other store patrons were watching us.  And why wouldn’t they, with about 10 people in our group and a leader speaking like a tour guide?  However, the craziest part was that this tour took 2 hours. Two hours? I mean I love to grocery shop and take my time going down each aisle, but I never spend that much time in the grocery store (8)


My weekend did wind up well, and it was good to see my family.  I came home to Mr. Med School, who wished me well, took our coffee maker and headed back to the library.  Continuing the Med School Widow theme, I just got a text message wishing me sweet dreams.  I guess I’ll see him tomorrow when this is all over.     


1.  And when we’re going to have kids but that’s a totally different story
2.  The best thing about that game was that I could leave whenever I wanted. Unlike when my high school boyfriend played football, and I had to stay at the game from beginning to end, rain or shine.
3. And she cruelly pointed out everything that you couldn’t eat as well
4. Think PeopleofWalmart.com
5.  Plug.
6. Yeah it was 8:00am but still, it was Saturday
7. Just in case you were wondering … asparagus is an Elliptical on a Stalk.  Wow how clever…
8. Except for Sam’s one time when I got lost in there…

No comments:

Post a Comment