Monday, September 7, 2009

Wives Club

So after the first week of parties and orientation, I find myself a little on the bored side. I left my great job in Big City, South, and I am finding it difficult to find a marketing job in Small Town, South. There aren’t many industries or even large companies for that matter which means there aren’t many positions in the marketing world which means I am often sitting at home during the day. For a past workaholic, doing basically nothing all day is a tough challenge. So I decided to get involved and go to a Wives Club meeting.

I didn’t really know what to expect from Wives Club the first time I went. There were about 13 wives of first years there, and everyone was instructed to bring a finger food (1). I knew a few of the wives but hadn’t met many of them. We had a good time meeting and greeting and eating.  However, the thing that struck me was that all of the conversations centered on our husbands: their test schedules, their study habits, and what specialty they were interested in. Soon, the conversation switched from our husband’s schooling to how we “take care” of our husbands (2). I mean our husbands were our common thread but we have lives too, and after sitting through a 15 minute conversation about what The Wives pack in their husband’s lunch box, I was done. I know that it is nice to do something special for your significant other, and I often do make cookies or give back rubs when Mr. Med School is having a bad day. However, when you make the comment “I feel guilty for coming to these Wives Club Meetings because Aaron (3)  won’t know what to eat,” I feel that you are underestimating your husband’s ability to… well… live without your assistance.  I mean..he did get into Medical School, how helpless could he be.

After wrapping up the night and heading back to our place, I find Mr. Med School wallowing on the couch.  First words out of his mouth: "What's for dinner?"  Ugh...whatever's in the fridge.

2. Because it's 1952 ?
3. Helpless Med School Husband

2 comments:

  1. Hi Med School Wife! I'm Law School Wife! I just found your blog and am all "I CAN SO RELATE!" I have not met another law wife in real life, sad face, but I do follow a few online and they pack their husband's backpacks, get up extra early so he has a hot breakfast to eat, and have rules like "he doesn't have to do a single chore in law school." I can't take it! Husband will not have more time as a lawyer. Being a lawyer will be stressful. So why should he get out of being a normal person? Marriage is a partnership, not a maid service. Alright. I'm off my soap box. But I'm glad I found someone sane!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey! I'm a 3rd year wife and can totally relate. I've also heard the wives in my "group" mention how they can't attend anything because they feel guilty. Ridiculous! Sadly, the "group" no longer exists.

    ReplyDelete