Sunday, August 15, 2010

Adventures in Hammering

So it has been just under 4 weeks of Project Bathroom and have now a a floor, walls, paint and a sink.  To advance our project, Mr. MedSchool enlisted my help the other evening.  However, that's not how the evening began.

After a particularly long day at work, I arrived home around 7pm to find Mr. MedSchool had already begun dinner (salmon with grilled asparagus (1)). After a wonderful dinner and a few glasses of wine, I sit in my big, comfy chair to relax for the evening.  However, my relaxation was abruptly interrupted when Mr. MedSchool asked if I could help him for a few minutes on the bathroom.  Being the loving (but definitely not handy) wife, I agreed.

So I walk into the bathroom and Mr. MedSchool hands me a hammer and asks me to tack up some wall covering.  Sure, I can do this.  I mean I have hammered things before ... at some point in my life .. I guess.

Turns out that hammering heavy duty nails into studs is a little different than hammering a nail into a wall for a picture .. particularly after you've had 2 glasses of wine (2).  I take the first swing and nail (3) my thumb.

Hammer: 1
Mrs. MedSchool: 0

After a dramatic pause, I continue with the hammering.  Unfortunately, I am finding it difficult to hit the nails straight into the studs (4).  Mr. MedSchool tries to help me by holding the nails but that was a bad idea (5).

Hammer: 2
Mr. MedSchool: 0

After 2 hours of fighting with the hammer, about 20 bent nails and 2 sore thumbs, we finally got all of the wall covering up and were off to bed.  However, I did learn a valuable lesson from this little adventure. Anytime I believe that Mr. MedSchool wants me to help with a task, I should start drinking and then he'll think twice about how helpful I'll actually be.


1. Handy man, doctor and a good cook, what more could a girl ask for? 
2. Good choice on food Mr. MedSchool but bad call on the wine 
3. No pun intended
4. Or hit the nail at all for that matter
5. That's what he gets for intoxicating me and then asking me to work ... 

No comments:

Post a Comment