Friday, February 12, 2010

Hot and Steamy Cards From the Dog


So Valentines is around the corner and Mr. MedSchool and I have our usual tradition planned, nice, quite dinner at home (1).  After just buying a house, doing multiple renovations and purchasing a dining room set (2), Mr. MedSchool and I decided not to get each other anything this year (3).  However, we do have a long standing Card war.  We buy each other cards for every holiday and not mushy, lovey-dovey cards but funny, make-you-laugh-so-hard-you-want-to-cry cards.

Being the procrastinator that I sometimes am (4), I finally went today to get Mr. MedSchool’s Valentine’s Day card.  After wading my way through the wall of people in the greeting card aisle (5).  I looked through the sparse selection left a card with the perfect mix of funny and sweet but keeping with my personality (6). 

While looking through cards, I realized how big the greeting card industry had become.  Where I usually remember there being categories like: Romantic, Funny, For Husband, For Wife, etc., now there are categories like Hot & Steamy, Cards with Sound, For Step Grand Daughter, From the Dog (7).  There were even specific cards for people whose birthday is n valentines, three different versions! Seriously … just buy two cards. I mean it has to suck to have your birthday on another holiday.  How much worse would it be if the one you loved bought you a combo card?

So after picking up my card (and some hair gel), I went to the check out thinking about how commercialized that we had become as a nation.  So, I made sure to grab a bag of Easter candy to console myself on the way home (8).    

1. because we don’t want deal with other people and waiters trying to turn our table on one of the busiest nights of the year. 
2. Craig’s List is the best!
3. Self-administered spending freeze .. perhaps the government could learn something from us
4. Not all the time … just most of it
5. Mostly Men… shocking.
6. Impossible you say? ... oh I found it, I’m good at this game
7. At least there were no Hot & Steamy cards from the dog
8. Seriously, who doesn’t love those Reese’s eggs?

1 comment:

  1. Yea, Reese's eggs are pretty awesome. Peanut butter and chocolate are basically my favorite FOOD couple. = )

    ReplyDelete