Monday, January 11, 2010

But It was On Sale


But It was On Sale: A term that women often use to justify the purchase of an item that will come in handy but is not completely necessary.  Men rarely use this term unless it is pertaining to a grill, TV or in my case, power tools.

Over the past few months, I have found that with new homeownership comes with do-it-yourself projects of all shapes and sizes (1).  Our latest project is hanging doors.  We have approximately 10 doors in our house, and Mr. MedSchool decided that we would paint and hang all of them this weekend in between shopping, hosting friends for dinner, church, studying, and work (2). 

Our door adventure began on Friday afternoon when Mr. MedSchool proudly arrived from an excursion to the Home Depot.  He had in hand a new router, finishing blade, and new drill bits.  He explained to me that even though he had spent a good chunk of change, these were all things that he absolutely needed these things to hang the doors (3).  After spending a few hours setting up a huge mess “workshop,” we began to spend our Friday night painting doors (4).  

We worked until about midnight (5), when it was time to hang the first door.  We got the hinges in place on our newly painted door and drilled everything in place.  Then we closed the door and it stopped.  Over time the house kind of sagged (6), and it seemed that the doorframe was the issue.   There was only one way to fix this issue, buy a new tool for Mr. MedSchool to play work with. 

So the next day we arose early to make another trek to the Home Depot to buy a chisel set.  After routing and painting, I got ready to meet my friend Amy for lunch and a bit of shopping.  After a few hours, I returned to find Mr. MedSchool still working (7).  “I had to spend more money,” Mr. MedSchool informed me.  You see apparently Mr. MedSchool ran out of screws and had to go again to the Home Depot.  While there, an electric sander caught his eye. “I had to buy it you see, it will make my work much faster, and it was on sale.”(8)   

So after hanging approximately 6 doors (9), we wrapped up the weekend about 6 tools richer and a few hundred dollars poorer.  Due to this “investment,” Mr. MedSchool and I have instituted the More Tools, More Work treaty.  This new legislation of our household entails that Mr. MedSchool start a new project for each tool that he buys and that tools must be used in at least 3 times.  Now we just have to see if I can work up a More Clothes, More Cleaning treaty. 

1. And spending money, do your know how much a door costs?
2. Yeah … we’re pretty popular
3. Just like I absolutely needed the new curtains and rug that I bought which Mr. MedSchool didn’t understand why I would spend money on. 
4. Yeah painting doors on Friday night … we’re really popular
5. Like I said … popular
6. Yeah apparently lots of things sag with age
7. Let the record show that the only thing I bought on this shopping excursion was a $35 hall runner and a $7 belt  (thank you TJ Maxx)
8. It was “On Sale” how many times have I used that line on shoes and it hasn’t worked.
9. Shocking! Something took longer than Mr. MedSchool expected.  

No comments:

Post a Comment